Wednesday, February 16, 2011

36 weeks: My Last Week of Pregnancy


I'm having my c-section next week! I can't wait! I'm so ready to be done being pregnant. I'm huge, hopped up on meds, and I'm tired of being in the hospital already. I guess it's time to start making my blog nice and pretty because from here on out there's going to be a lot of updating to do. Until next week it's just a waiting game though. And I don't have my camera USB cable with me here at the hospital although I have been taking pictures. So this is a picture from my phone and for now it's going to have to do until my husband can bring the USB from home.


Well, I guess I'll just go over the whole story of how I landed myself here! The details are a little blurry because this medication is disorienting and I've been on it for a week so things have tended to slip out of my mind. I have a hard time forming coherant sentences and I'm pretty sure it's going to show in my blogging, but oh well. I'll try to make it understandable!


So two Saturdays ago I woke up in the middle of the night with back pain that lasted for about two hours and I couldn't sleep. But then it went away so I just went back to bed. It happened again the next night and although I initially wondered whether it was back labor or contractions, I noticed it was right on my kidney and whenever I touched my kidney it was tender. Monday I had a dr's appointment and I mentioned it to my doctor and he said just to keep an eye on it because sometimes the kidneys can become blocked in pregnancy. Also, at the doctor Monday we found out that the baby's head is about 50 cm. If you want to know how big that is, measure your own head, you may be surprised! It's huge. Anyway, Tuesday morning the pain in my back came again and became painful enough that I was having to breath through it and so I called my doctor and they told me to come to the hospital to get it checked out. I thought that was a little excessive since I could still talk through the pain.. I didn't think it was THAT bad, but I came nevertheless. When they hooked me up to the monitor they could see that I was indeed having contractions and they started coming closer and closer. My doctor said, " Well, I can tell you now you're not going home tonight" and they put me in a room. As soon as he left my contractions started coming like 3 minutes apart, it was crazy. Apparently they were pretty strong too but to me it just felt like some pain in my kidney and honestly not even as bad as periods I've had before. Just goes to show how stupid I am, I didn't even know I was in labor! You always hear people say, oh you'll know, but I did not know at all. And I don't think I would've known unless I had been here.


So they started an IV and got me on magnesium sulfate to stop the contractions which is a muscle relaxer and pretty potent stuff. It makes you feel like you have the flu as well and you can't focus on things. I managed to read a book, but it was difficult and not very enjoyable because I just felt like I couldn't care about it or get into it. It kinda makes you feel ho hum about things... it's weird. They tried to wean me onto a pill instead so I could go home for a little while, but that didn't go over well. As soon as they dropped the medication levels my contractions and pain came back. So here I've been since Tuesday... Thankfully they've dropped my medication levels twice just so I can be a bit more comfortable. It starts feeling like you're trapped in your own body and furthermore I'm trapped in this room and not allowed to even get wheeled around the halls. I really feel for people who have to spend their lives in the hospital! Especially people who don't have family or other support. Kenny has been sleeping in a chair next to me most nights. I feel so bad for him. He's trying to keep going to school and he's doing great even though all of this is going on on the sidelines. I know it's not easy but he's really supportive and I look forward to when he comes to see me during the day.


Jake is getting so huge, he just hurts. I told the doctor "it feels like I'm having twins, seriously" and he said "well, in a way you are because your baby's head is just so big". I LOOK like I'm having twins and I know I'm way bigger than I normally would be. I'm all swollen from the medication, which is super attractive also, haha.


So the doctor says I'm in here for another week and my c section will be next Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday: he's trying to get it scheduled. He said for sure I'm getting the vertical (or classical) c-section cut in the skin, but depending on how things look he may be able to go horizontal on my uterus, which would be awesome! Hopefully that would work but no guarantees. I know it's going to be hard to get the baby out as it is. The doctor said he's going to have forceps and a vacuum ready because he'll probably need one or both of them.


Well, that's about all. Meanwhile I'm just waiting. I can't wait to get this baby out of me even though I know the c-section is going to be difficult because he's so huge. I just can't wait to get on the road to recovery and get back to a somewhat normal life. And hopefully Jake's surgery (or surgeries) will go smooth as well. It's just hard to sit here and think and speculate~ let's get going! :)


well I think that's about all. thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers, we love you and we think of all of you too.

8 comments:

Heather said...

Oh man. Mag sulfate is awful. I had to take that for just a day with Ian and I was puking and miserable. You are amazing to be on it so long!

I'm thinking of your family, and whenever you want/need/are able to have me come, please know that I am still more than willing to come take photos for you guys. My cell is 713 591 4164. I know there is no way for you to know details right now, but whenever you do and they will let me come, just let me know. I'm happy to pose as an Aunt for an afternoon if that is what it takes :P

Lee&Michelle said...

oh man your c-section is gonna be crazy getting that baby out! I bet your just miserable and bored too! I wish i was there so bad! We could pee our pants laughing together about stupid things if i was :D haha

Katie B said...

Hey Mandi- I heard about what's going on at church and found your blog through facebook. I'm not sure we've ever had an actual conversation but I'm still thinking about you! Hope everything turns out it's very best!

Jannica Larson said...

You are such a trooper! Holy cow you're my hero. And that's so sweet Kenny sleeps in a chair next to you! He's already a good daddy/hubby! Text me if you get too bored in there!

Allison said...

Yay for a countdown and delivery coming soon! Hang in there. You are one tough mama!

Sant Family said...

Congratulations on giving baby Jake such an awesome start!

We are keeping you guys in our prayers.

I'm sending you a little something today.

Love you tons, Tifani

PS - You truly look miserable (and still cute) and my heart just aches for uncomfortable you must be. Still, you have such a positive attitude (even doped on the magsul) and you are just an inspiration!

PPS - You are only five hours away and since you are stuck in bed, I thought of driving over and painting your toenails for you but Larry has to work in NOLA this week and can't pick up my responsibilities. Boo!

PPPS - Funny that my postscripts are longer than my comments. Okay, probably just funny to me.

Mandi, Kenny & Jake said...

Thanks everyone, we love you guys! Heather- thank you so much I'm so excited about your pictures because you're an amazing photographer.

Tiffany- haha, I can't believe you thought about driving here, that would be crazy! But fun. You have enough on your plate as it is but yeah you are pretty close compared to everyone else I know.


Everyone, you are so sweet and we really appreciate the prayers. They will work miracles!

Violet said...

Hey Mandi! Just wanted to say I am thinking of you SO MUCH lately! You are amazing, and I am so excited for you. Good luck with absolutely everything, and I will be thinking of you and praying like crazy. Love you! Can't wait to see pictures of the little guy!
Love,
Violet